Python 3000 vs Perl 6

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jun 24 11:11:53 EDT 2008

Michele Simionato:
Also consider the famous Clinger's maxim
> “Programming languages should be designed not by piling feature
> on top of feature, but by removing the weaknesses and restrictions
> that make additional features appear necessary.”

I'm relaxed, don't worry :-)
I know that maxim, but after learning Python, Scheme (and lot of other
things) I think it's often wrong.
Well chosen restrictions sometimes are very useful, they may act like
a scaffolding, you can build higher constructions on them (Python has
no macros, this is a restriction. But this restriction has some
advantages. One of the main advantages is that it makes the Python
code more uniform across different programmers, this is one of the
thinks that makes the Python world so full of pre-made modules to do
most of the things you may want to do).

Bye,
bearophile