Instructions on how to build py2exe 0.6.8 (or an installer would be nice, too!)

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com`
Tue Jun 10 17:47:35 EDT 2008

chardish at gmail.com wrote:
> On Jun 10, 11:34 am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but I can rename the executables I create
>> using py2exe 0.6.6 to anything I want after they're created.
>>
>> Or are you talking about a Windows installer for the py2exe module
>> itself? Where are you finding this 0.6.8 version anyway? I can't find
>> it onwww.py2exe.org
>>
>> Anyway, what Thomas is talking about is that the only way to create a
>> usable installer of py2exe on Windows is to use the same compiler that
>> the Python you are using. As I understand it, Python 2.4 and 2.5 used
>> Visual Studio 2003. I think 2.3 used VS6. I have both, so I can try to
>> compile an installer for any of those versions if you can link me to
>> the source.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Python Extension Building Network:     http:\\www.pythonlibrary.org
>
> The issue with renaming executables only applies to single-file
> executables, i.e. ones created with zipfile = None as an argument to
> setup() and --bundle 1 as a command line argument. This is a known
> issue as of 0.6.6: http://py2exe.org/index.cgi/ProblemsToBeFixed
>
> I found sources for 0.6.8 on CVS at: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=15583
>
> A Windows installer for the 0.6.8 py2exe module would be ideal, but
> somehow I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon since there hasn't
> been a new installer since 2006. If you are willing to build that for
> me (since I don't have VS) I'd really appreciate it : ) I'm using 32-
> bit WinXP on this computer.

About every two weeks this "issue" pops up.  Question: Why is is so important to
package everything into a single file?  There are no Windows applications (that
I'm aware of) that ship as single files.  Many of them consist of hundreds and
in some cases 'thousands' of files.  Now if you want to DISTRIBUTE a single
setup.exe file, that makes sense to me.  Use py2exe without the single file
option and ship a setup.exe file created by Inno Installer.  Problem solved.
You will thank me when you want to include: registry entries, shortcuts,
documentation, configuration files, etc. in the distribution.

-Larry