What is the role of python2.6 and C++?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Mon Jul 21 04:26:45 EDT 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:17:00 +0800, 甜瓜 wrote:

> I'm confused about the motivation of releasing python2.6 and python3.0
> at the *same* time. IMO, 2.6 should be compatible with 2.5 while 3.0
> is new style python.

That's how it is.  2.6 is backwards compatible with 2.5.

> […] But even without the intermediate version 2.6, project transformation
> with be smooth enough, and then 2.5, 2.6 will be replaced by 3.0. I will
> not spend any time on studying 2.6. So why does python development team
> put many efforts on 2.6? What is the role of 2.6?

It's a version that makes the transition smoother.  You really should take
that "detour" via 2.6.  There should be some of the changes from 3.0 in 2.6
that don't mess with backwards compatibility, and a script that tries to
automate the conversion from 2.6 to 3.0.  This spares a lot of work when
porting to 3.0.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch