What is the role of python2.6 and C++?

甜瓜 littlesweetmelon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 04:17:00 EDT 2008

Howdy,

I'm confused about the motivation of releasing python2.6 and python3.0
at the *same* time. IMO, 2.6 should be compatible with 2.5 while 3.0
is new style python. Currenly, most python projects works fine in 2.5.
When 3.0 becomes final release, those projects will be gradually moved
to 3.0. But even without the intermediate version 2.6, project
transformation with be smooth enough, and then 2.5, 2.6 will be
replaced by 3.0. I will not spend any time on studying 2.6. So why
does python development team put many efforts on 2.6? What is the role
of 2.6?

Another question is about the future of C++. I am a C++ programmer.
Since I studied python, most of my projects becomes written in python
because of the better and simpler OOP representation. As a supplement,
I use python C extension for computational extensive jobs. Therefore,
for a relatively long time, I do not use C++ any more... Anyone is
same to me? What is your attitude to the role of C++ in the age of
python?

Best regards,

--
ShenLei