Why is there no GUI-tools like this for Windows?

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 17:52:56 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM, maestro <notnorwegian at yahoo.se> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXpwC1o5AcI
>
> I have done some GUI-programming for windows with Python but the
> Tkinter interface sucked and while it is the only one I tried I got
> the impression they are all the same.
>
> It's amazing how retarded a lot of the stuff programmers do is.
> Watcing that video, that is how it should be.
>
> I can just do the layout with my mouse and then there is a program
> that writes the code for me.

There are several programs that allow you to that, there is one not
really nice for tkinter, GUI Builder, there are glade and gazpacho for
gtk, Qt Designer for qt, wxglade and xrc (and others) for wxwidgets.
There are probably others for each of the toolkits I described on the
previous sentence, but those are the most well known (or not known at
all in case of GUI Builder for tkinter).

> GUI-programming is hard for no reason. One good program then forever
> easy...
>
> Is there not something like this for Python/Windows? Is the Linux one
> only for ruby or for any language?

All the examples I mentioned previously works both in Linux and
Windows. Also, they tend to not be language dependent either, they
tend to save the user interface description to some format like XML,
which you can then use independently of language (as long as your
language has a lib for reading its format and doing proper
processing).

> Oh well im switching to Linux anyway and mostly write webapps but
> still...
> --

Note: I didn't watch the video, if it presents something totally
unrelated to my answer, my bad then.

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves