Autocompletion and Interactive Tables in a Python IDE

Fabio Zadrozny fabiofz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 17:29:02 EDT 2008

> a) Intellisense (tells you what classes/methods are available and what
> variables go into a function)
> b) Code Completion (guesses your code after four letters)
> c) Data-Orientation; multiple data sessions can be open, data can be
> viewed easily
>
> Python's IDLE has only half of the first of these features.  I did a
> lot of searching and found the PyDev extensions for Eclipse's Python
> IDE, and found that they've got Intellisense.  I'm still missing b and
> c, and am getting extremely frustrated programming so slowly..

Hi Anthony,

Actually, Pydev (both open source and Pydev Extensions) provide 'a' and 'b'
-- if it's not showing to you, it may be that the pythonpath is not
correctly configured (see http://fabioz.com/pydev/manual_101_root.html for
instructions on how to configure it). As for 'c', I'm sure there's more than
one plugin that can give that to you within Eclipse (search google for
eclipse database plugins) -- I haven't used any of those, so, I can't really
comment on them.

Cheers,

Fabio