Working with ctypes and char** data type

Philluminati Phillip.Ross.Taylor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 06:52:57 EDT 2008

I'm a bit of a python newbie and I need to wrap a C library.

I can initialise the library using CDLL('mcclient.so')

and I can call functions correctly inside the library but I need to
invoke one function which has this function definition:

char ** CAPAPI McSearch(HMCLINK Handle,
                        short nSearchType,
                        short nNoSelect,
                        char **pSelect,
                        short nNoWhere,
                        char **pWhere,
                        char **pData,
                        int iTimeout);

For **pSelect I want to pass in an array of char points, which in C
would be declared as

char *pData[] = { "ADDR", "POSTCODE" };

Can someone tell me how use pointers + char pointers together in
python with ctypes please?

Thank you

    Phill