AW: Python embedding question.

Troeger, Thomas (ext) thomas.troeger.ext at siemens.com
Tue Jul 15 09:05:18 EDT 2008

Hi,

> > I want to embed a Python application on a device with limited
> > resources, esp. storage limitations. Is there a way to reduce the
> > Python interpreter to a set of modules that's urgently needed?
> Of course there is. What is the target platform ?

Thanks for your answer. The plattform is x86, so basically it's a PC
with a compact flash drive. The problem is that the compact flash is
rather limited in speed and size (there is other stuff on it too).

> > Or is there a method to have gzipped modules that are unzipped on
the
> > fly into memory when they're accessed? That would be even better.
> Yes - also possible.

That sounds promising, is there a link you can give? Or do I have to
modify the module loading code for this, i.e. the interpreter? I think
that wouldn't be too much of a problem if I understand where Python
loads modules; I haven't checked the Python source yet for that one, and
searching for Python and zip or similar always yields tons of links that
use the Python zip or tar module :)

> Regards
> David

Cheers,