Python embedding question.

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Jul 15 07:46:36 EDT 2008

Thomas Troeger wrote:
> I want to embed a Python application on a device with limited
> resources, esp. storage limitations. Is there a way to reduce the
> Python interpreter to a set of modules that's urgently needed?
Of course there is. What is the target platform ?

What can be done is to go through the python source code and comment out
everything that *you* find unneccessary. I can't tell you what this
would be - because I don't know exactly what you are after. But to your
question - the answer is yes.. of course.
> Or is there a method to have gzipped modules that are unzipped on the
> fly into memory when they're accessed? That would be even better.
Yes - also possible.

> Additionally, is there a Python module that contains all the stuff
> needed for an embedded application like graphics, sound etc.
No. Because that depends on what hardware platform you want to run on.
> or do I have to use the various bindings to libraries like cairo, Qt
> or similar? Is there a site that helps with those decisions?
I doubt it. These are decisions for you to make according to the
limitations of your hardware.

> I've really looked at a lot of places but haven't found a suitable
> solutions yet, so I'm asking here in hope that someone has experience
> with that topic.

:-)

Regards

David