sqlite3 is it in the python default distro?

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Sat Jan 12 15:52:05 EST 2008

Martin Marcher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can see that sqlite is in the standard lib documentation:
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sqlite3.html
>
> however debian and ubuntu (and gentoo according to the packages info) seem
> _not_ to include it.
>
> Now 2 question arise:
>
> a) Is sqlite included in the python default distribution
> b) In real life can I consider (on linux) that an installation of python
> includes the sqlite stuff?
>
> thanks
> martin

As I understand it, Python2.5 includes the *module* which can be
imported to access an sqlite installation, but it does not include the
sqlite installation itself.   That should be installed separately.   (I
suppose a distro of Linux could package them together, but I don't  know
of one that does, and such is not the intent of Python.)

Gary Herron