sqlite3 is it in the python default distro?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Jan 12 16:23:54 EST 2008

Martin Marcher schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I can see that sqlite is in the standard lib documentation:
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sqlite3.html
>
> however debian and ubuntu (and gentoo according to the packages info) seem
> _not_ to include it.
>
> Now 2 question arise:
>
> a) Is sqlite included in the python default distribution

Yes, since 2.5

> b) In real life can I consider (on linux) that an installation of python
> includes the sqlite stuff?

distutils is an example of a standard-module that gets ripped out of
python by distros frequently, so that people need to install python-dev
or such a package.

So - yes, it happens that distros don't deliver the whole standard
distribution. Now I'm not sure if that happens for sqlite, but if your
own tests show so (reminder: python 2.5, accidentially using earlier
versions that are installed won't work of course), then the answer is -
no, you can't

Diez