Beginner Pyserial Question

JAMoore84 at gmail.com JAMoore84 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:13:39 EST 2008

> My guess is that for whatever reason the 'first' serial port
> (which is what you're asking for by specifying a 0 when
> instantiating the Serial class) doesn't actually exist. Serial
> device names under Windows are broken.

I realize this.  I tried connecting to different port "numbers", but I
have not tried the serial.Serial(COM1).  I wasn't sure if that worked,
but I know a quick way to find out.

> Try using the actual name of the com port (e.g. 'COM3' or
> 'COM5') instead of 0.

The com port used in Hyper Terminal is COM40.  I have tried connecting
to 39/40/41 to no avail.

> Oh, if you end up having to use a com port higher than COM9,
> that's broken in Windows as well, and you've got to sprinkle a
> bunch of backslashes into the device name (I don't remember the
> exact syntax).

That might become an issue when I try to read COM40 for the GPS
bluetooth transmission.  This issue does not relate to why I cannot
open  smaller com ports, though.