assigning values in python and perl

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu Jan 17 01:59:05 EST 2008

George Sakkis wrote:
> Posting a counter-example where the difference is clearly shown would
> be more vastly useful than referring to a list of long obscure usenet
> posts with practically no examples. C/C++ are not even mentioned in
> that page. I am not claiming you are wrong, I just don't find
> particularly this page particularly enlightening.

I don't find a posting like "It's call-by-reference, but in fact it's
doesn't behave like call-by-reference" helpful. The text explains
Python's calling convention on a CS level. Please trust me that the
explanation on the site is right. It was written by somebody who
designed and wrote parts of Python.

Christian