assigning values in python and perl

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 03:33:25 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 1:59 am, Christian Heimes <li... at cheimes.de> wrote:
> George Sakkis wrote:
> > Posting a counter-example where the difference is clearly shown would
> > be more vastly useful than referring to a list of long obscure usenet
> > posts with practically no examples. C/C++ are not even mentioned in
> > that page. I am not claiming you are wrong, I just don't find
> > particularly this page particularly enlightening.
>
> I don't find a posting like "It's call-by-reference, but in fact it's
> doesn't behave like call-by-reference" helpful.

You must be referring to other poster then; I did not mention at all
the term "call by reference" (or "term by value" for that matter)
exactly because they mean different things to different people. I only
stated that Python's parameter passing is like passing a pointer in C/C
++ and gave a specific example of what I mean by "like passing a
pointer", without labeling it as "call-by-X".

> The text explains
> Python's calling convention on a CS level. Please trust me that the
> explanation on the site is right. It was written by somebody who
> designed and wrote parts of Python.

I didn't dispute the validity of the explanation, only its educational
usefulness (both with respect to my posting and in general for someone
new to Python).

George