Python too slow?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Jan 12 11:47:57 EST 2008

On 12 Jan, 04:03, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> Given the way that people seem to use "interpreted" as a pejorative and a
> synonym for "slow", I don't doubt it one bit. Especially in management,
> where they might be making technical judgments on the basis of half-
> remembered Comp Sci 101 lessons from fifteen years earlier and vague
> buzzword-laden articles in trade magazines.

Indeed. Still, there's reason to be upbeat about Python's potential
here. The big question is this: what is everyone with any degree of
concern about Python's performance doing to improve the situation?
Sure, C (or actually C++) seems to win the shootout [1], but there are
plenty of language implementations between g++ and CPython to suggest
that the old choice of extension modules written in C vs. other code
written in Python doesn't provide a complete map of the opportunities.

Paul

[1] http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all