sudoku solver in Python ...

Boris Borcic bborcic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 08:09:34 EST 2008

Shawn Milochik wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2008, at 10:02 PM, Derek Marshall wrote:
>
>> This is just for fun, in case someone would be interested and because
>> I haven't had the pleasure of posting anything here in many years ...
>>
>>     http://derek.marshall.googlepages.com/pythonsudokusolver
>>
>> Appreciate any feedback anyone who takes the time to have a look would
>> want to give ...
>>
>> Yours with-too-much-time-to-kill-on-the-train'ly,
>> Derek
>> --
>
> For those interested in this topic, here's another (much shorter) one:
>
> http://norvig.com/sudoku.html
>
> I'm not making any judgements here, though. If anyone takes the time
> to actually review them, I'd be interested in hearing any educated
> comparisons.
>
> Shawn

So would I. Below is the "winner" of my hacking for an as fast as possible 110%
pure python (no imports at all!) comprehensive sudoku solver under 50 LOCs, back
in 2006. Performance is comparable to the solver you advertize - numbers are
slightly better, but platform differences could easily absorb that - eg (not
counting module initialization and not using psyco) it takes 9.3 ms average on
the "AI escargot" problem linked to in Norwig's page, 5.6 ms/problem on some
standard "top1465" list of hard problems, and 3.4 ms/problem on the first 1000
on some other "top50000" list of relatively hard problems. This on my 2GHz Intel
Centrino '05 laptop. Psyco reduces times by about 50%. Dropping performance
requirements by half allows reducing LOC count in proportion.

OTOH, the code although short is nearly unreadable, sorry; should probably
feature/comment it on some web page, like the two already proposed in the
thread. Will do if/for reviewer. Interface is calling sudoku99(problem) with
'problem' a standard 81 character string with '0' or '.' placeholder for
unknowns. Returns same with values filled in.

Beware that although in practice it solved all well-formed human-solvable
problems I could find, it is not guaranteed to deal properly (or even
terminate?) for underdetermined problems or determined problems that would
require exploring choicepoints with more than 2 possibilities (if such exist).

Cheers, Boris

w2q = [[n/9,n/81*9+n%9+243,n%81+162,n%9*9+n/243*3+n/27%3+81]
        for n in range(729)]
q2w = (z[1] for z in sorted((x,y) for y,s in enumerate(w2q) for x in s))
q2w = map(set,zip(*9*[q2w]))
w2q2w = [set(w for q in qL for w in q2w[q] if w!=w0) for w0,qL in enumerate(w2q)]
empty = set(range(729)).copy

def sudoku99(problem) :
     givens = set(9*j+int(k)-1 for j,k in enumerate(problem) if '0'<k)
     ws=search(givens,[9]*len(q2w),empty())
     return ''.join(str(w%9+1) for w in sorted(ws))

def search(w0s,q2nw,free) :
     while 1 :
         while w0s:
             w0 = w0s.pop()