How a smart editor could make "Postfix type declarations PEP3117" in Python3000 more readable

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Wed Jan 9 06:45:05 EST 2008

aspineux a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I read the PEP 3117 about the new "Postfix type declarations"  in
> Python3000.
> THIS PEP as been REJECTED !

Indeed - it's an april's fool joke !-)

And BTW, no need to scream, we hear you pretty well.

> But ...
>
> The notation in the PEP is very ugly !  This make python code more
> difficult to read!
>
> Anyway when I switched to python (from C, C++, ..), I suffered a lot
> of the
> untyped python variables.
> And I think this is a good idea to include
> typing in python.

The concept of "type" greatly differs between static typing and dynamic
typing. FWIW, it also somewhat differs between declarative static type
systems (C/C++/Java/etc) and inference-based static type systems (OCaml,
Haskell etc).

Anyway, Python is dynamically typed (FWIW, it's dynamic almost
everywhere), and this is probably not going to change in a foreseeable
future. So I guess you'd better learn to use dynamic typing instead of
trying to write C++ in Python - or, if you just can't get used to
dynamic typing, use another language.