How is AI implemented

montyphyton at gmail.com montyphyton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:46:47 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 6:49 pm, "Martin Marcher" <mar... at marcher.name> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it's not a trivial field but I had some readings about
> artificial intelligence lately and my personal conclusion is that it's
> mostly just statistics.
>
> Naively explained:
>
> continiously gather and store information and apply a default rating
>
> 1) answer "questions" with gathered information according to rating
> 2) store/calculate rating based upon input (be it an interface or user input)
> 3) goto 1 (sorry for the goto)

really naively :)

> So I think that in general there hasn't yet been any artificial
> intelligence programmed (Note: I believe I'm aware of the difference
> between artificial intelligence and artificial conscusiness where the
> second would be able to answer things like: "How are you today" and
> the first can answer factual knowledge)

What you want to do is look up the difference between weak AI and
strong AI.
Everything we have to this day is weak AI, and there is still a debate
between
various scientists as to whether strong AI is even possible.  Be sure
to look
at Chinese room argument to see if strong AI is really what you need.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room)