How is AI implemented

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:40:34 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 11:49 am, "Martin Marcher" <mar... at marcher.name> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it's not a trivial field but I had some readings about
> artificial intelligence lately and my personal conclusion is that it's
> mostly just statistics.
>
> Naively explained:
>
> continiously gather and store information and apply a default rating
>
> 1) answer "questions" with gathered information according to rating
> 2) store/calculate rating based upon input (be it an interface or user input)
> 3) goto 1 (sorry for the goto)
>
> So I think that in general there hasn't yet been any artificial
> intelligence programmed (Note: I believe I'm aware of the difference
> between artificial intelligence and artificial conscusiness where the
> second would be able to answer things like: "How are you today" and
> the first can answer factual knowledge)
>
> Am I thinking right here or is there some (preferrably) web reading
> available on that or in depth links about the topic?
>
> thanks and sorry for OT posting
> martin
>
> --http://noneisyours.marcher.namehttp://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

Some readings:

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/whatisai/whatisai.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/computers_math/artificial_intelligence/
http://www.jair.org/
http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/computer_science/artificial_intelligence/

Fuzzy Logic usually crops up as a related topic:

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/mar98/fuz/flindex.html
http://www.austinlinks.com/Fuzzy/

I'm not involved in this field, but I think saying that AI is just
statistics is a pretty sweeping statement. It's more like super
complicated stats using algorithms worthy of Calculus with branch
logic thrown in for good measure.

How's that for a load of buzz words!?

Hope those links give you lots of info. Let us know when you've got a
cool talking Python program!

Mike