translating Python to Assembler...sorry if this is duplicated...it's unintentional

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 22:30:15 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 4:45 pm, o... at thepond.com wrote:
> My expertise, if any, is in assembler. I'm trying to understand Python
> scripts and modules by examining them after they have been
> disassembled in a Windows environment.
>
> I'm wondering if a Python symbols file is available. In the Windows
> environment, a symbol file normally has a PDB extension. It's a little
> unfortunate that Python also uses PDB for its debugger. Google, for
> whatever reason, wont accept queries with dots, hyphens, etc., in the
> query line. For example a Google for "python.pdb" returns +python
> +pdb, so I get a ridiculous number of returns referring to the python
> debugger. I have mentioned this to Google several times, but I guess
> logic isn't one of their strong points.  :-)
>
> If there's dupicates of this post it's because it wouldn't send for
> some reason.

I'm not sure what you're talking about...mainly because I'm not sure
what you mean by a "symbols file". But I did some google-fu myself and
found this CookBook entry:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/200638

And this thread seems to be talking about symbol resolution, I think:

http://www.python.org/search/hypermail/python-1994q2/0605.html

And here's some weird site that claims to have a list of inseparable
symbols, whatever that means:

voicecode.iit.nrc.ca/VCodeWiki/public/wiki.cgi?
obj=ListOfUnseparablePythonSymbols

I can't get it to load unless I use Google's cached version though.

Hope that helps and that I'm not too far off the mark!

Mike