Pygame w/ GUI

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 22:50:04 EST 2008

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:10:03 -0800, PatrickMinnesota wrote:

> I know this isn't strictly a Python question, but I'm betting some here
> might be able to give me a hint.
>
> I have a few graphical programs doing some 2D data visualization using
> simple Pygame code for pseudo real-time animation.   It's running under
> windows XP right now, but eventually it'll need to be cross- platform.
> As it is right now, it probably is, I just haven't tried it anywhere but
> XP.
>
> Now I want to wrap some simple GUI functions around it.  I'm looking for
> some buttons, a text field or two and file system selection of data
> files.  I figure many have done this and there is a better solution than
> to use Pygame constructs to implement such things.
>
> My question:  I'm not seeing much support in Pygame for that stuff. It
> seems I should build buttons and file browsing in some other toolkit.
> Is that true?  Or am I just to early on in the Pygame docs to see
> solutions?

I've used pgu once and it worked ok.  pgu is a PyGame utility kit which
includes a GUI interface; pretty good tutorial on the site, too.

> If I should use something else, am I going to be able to use Tkinter or
> WxPython in conjunction with my Pygame code?  Or is there something else
> I should be looking at?

Not recommended, though some have done it.  SDL (which PyGame is based
upon) likes to control the event loop, same as most GUIs do.  Plus it's
not straightforward to integrate the SDL window into the widget systems.

Carl Banks