get the size of a dynamically changing file fast ?

Jason tenax.raccoon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:24:49 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 3:22 pm, Stef Mientki <stef.mien... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike Driscoll wrote:

> >> thanks Mike,
> >> sorry for the late reaction.
> >> I've it working perfect now.
> >> After all, os.stat works perfectly well,
> >> the problem was in the program that generated the file with increasing
> >> size,
> >> by truncating it after each block write, it apperently garantees that
> >> the file is flushed to disk and all problems are solved.
>
> >> cheers,
> >> Stef Mientki
>
> > I almost asked if you were making sure you had flushed the data to the
> > file...oh well.
>
> Yes, that's a small disadavantage of using a "high-level" language,
> where there's no flush available, and you assume it'll done
> automatically ;-)
>
> cheers,
> Stef

Uhm, there is a flush method for Python's files.  From "http://
docs.python.org/lib/bltin-file-objects.html":
flush()
    Flush the internal buffer, like stdio's fflush(). This may
    be a no-op on some file-like objects.

As for an example:

>>> import os
>>> f = open('vikings.txt', 'wb')
>>> os.stat('vikings.txt').st_size
0L
>>> f.write('Spam, spam, spam, spam!  ' * 1000)  # Bloody vikings...
>>> os.stat('vikings.txt').st_size
24576L
>>> f.flush()
>>> os.stat('vikings.txt').st_size
25000L

Is there something that I'm missing here?

  --Jason