no pass-values calling?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jan 16 01:46:39 EST 2008

Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> writes:

> Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> > 	Since all "variable" names in Python are references to objects,
> > anything accessed using a name is accessed by reference.
>
> Anybody using the terms variable, reference or call-by-value is most
> likely explaining Python the wrong way.

The term "reference" is fine, since that's exactly how it works. One
gets at an object via some reference, be it a name or some access into
a container object. When an object has no more references to itself,
it becomes a candidate for garbage collection. And so on.

--
 \         "I planted some bird seed. A bird came up. Now I don't know |
  `\                               what to feed it."  -- Steven Wright |