ANN: Phatch = PHoto bATCH processor and renamer based on PIL

Stani spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 05:19:20 EST 2008

Fred Pacquier <xnews2 <at> fredp.lautre.net> writes:

> Steve Holden <steve <at> holdenweb.com> said :
>
> > Perhaps you could put a link to the source on the Windows instalL page?
> > I don't mind being a second-class citizen, but it's annoying to have to
> > jump around like that.
>
> I'm interested too, and was also wondering if Phatch is as full-featured
> unders Windows as under Linux, specifically the EXIF/IPTC functions made
> available through pyexiv2 : exiv2 itself seems to discriminate between the
> two, the Windows package only has the executable, not the library.

Even without python-pyexiv2 Phatch features read-only EXIF support thanks to
PIL. So you can name your files or write data stamps (date, aperature, velocity,
...) based on EXIF information. If you want to save EXIF and IPTC information to
files you need python-pyexiv2. From its website:
"However, the library and all the tools used are cross-platform, so very little
tweaking should be needed to get it to work fine on Windows or MacOS X."
http://tilloy.net/dev/pyexiv2/developers.htm

The exiv2 website says:
"The Windows package only contains the command line utility exiv2.exe
(statically linked), manpage and a sample command file; get the source and doc
packages for the library, documentation and other tools."
http://www.exiv2.org/download.html

So maybe someone can compile it.

But... Phatch is designed with flexibility in mind. If someone can point me to a
free python library for Windows for EXIF and other metadata, I'll be happy to
integrate support for it in Phatch. Ideas anyone?

Or you could write a python wrapper around the executable.

Stani
--
Phatch - http://photobatch.stani.be
SPE - http://pythonide.stani.be