ANN: Phatch = PHoto bATCH processor and renamer based on PIL

Fred Pacquier xnews2 at fredp.lautre.net
Wed Feb 20 15:48:15 EST 2008

Stani <spe.stani.be at gmail.com> said :

> Even without python-pyexiv2 Phatch features read-only EXIF support
> thanks to PIL. So you can name your files or write data stamps (date,
> aperature, velocity, ...) based on EXIF information.

Oh, that's good. I hadn't looked at PIL for a long while and wasn't aware
it did that.

> If you want to
> save EXIF and IPTC information to files you need python-pyexiv2. From
> its website: "However, the library and all the tools used are
> cross-platform, so very little tweaking should be needed to get it to
> work fine on Windows or MacOS X."
> http://tilloy.net/dev/pyexiv2/developers.htm
> The exiv2 website says:
> "The Windows package only contains the command line utility exiv2.exe
> (statically linked), manpage and a sample command file; get the source
> and doc packages for the library, documentation and other tools."
> http://www.exiv2.org/download.html
> So maybe someone can compile it.

Thanks for the confirmation Stani : as I suspected, this means exiv2 is
(deliberately ?) not end-user-ready for Windows (as in, download, install
and configure). I have Googled around a bit but there doesn't seem to be
anyone supplying a ready-made binary lib. Too bad.

> But... Phatch is designed with flexibility in mind. If someone can
> point me to a free python library for Windows for EXIF and other
> metadata, I'll be happy to integrate support for it in Phatch. Ideas
> anyone?

That is exactly the problem. EXIF/IPTC were fashionable in python circles
some years ago but apart from a long-dead sourceforge project and a
couple of read-only modules, nothing really came out of it.

In fact, I was coincidentally searching for just such a thing when I came
across a pointer to Phatch, a few days before you announced it here...