Windows System Administration: State of the Art on Python?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 26 17:46:32 EST 2008

> I am a long-time user of Perl who comes to you in peace and is
> evaluating different scripting languages for use as a scripting
> platform for system administrators on the Windows platform. Perl
> already has many modules that allow sys admins and devolpers to do
> lots of things with the Windows OS, and I'm wondering what the state
> of the art is with Python and being able to control and administer a
> windows environment. In this regard, how does Python stand up against
> Perl?

As everybody else, I cannot compare it to Perl, because I don't know
Perl good enough (or at all, for that matter). I found Python does
*very* well in Windows system administration, in many cases, better
than Visual Basic (IMO, and for the things I wanted to do). I've
mostly used the COM integration, as the things I wanted to manage
had COM (automation) interfaces.

Regards,
Martin