Windows System Administration: State of the Art on Python?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 16:47:44 EST 2008

On Feb 26, 3:23 pm, Krishna Kirti Das <krishnaki... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a long-time user of Perl who comes to you in peace and is
> evaluating different scripting languages for use as a scripting
> platform for system administrators on the Windows platform. Perl
> already has many modules that allow sys admins and devolpers to do
> lots of things with the Windows OS, and I'm wondering what the state
> of the art is with Python and being able to control and administer a
> windows environment. In this regard, how does Python stand up against
> Perl?

There's the PyWin32 module if you want to do low-level stuff:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.5/pywin32/PyWin32.html
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.5/pywin32/win32_modules.html

Or you can "roll-your-own" (sort of) with the ctypes module:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ctypes.html

The PyWin32 basically exposes most (if not all) of the Windows API. I
think ctypes is usually used for COM black magic. There's also a
slightly higher level wrapper for WMI that you can use:

http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi.html
http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi_cookbook.html

Tell us what you want to do and we'll tell you if (and maybe how) you
can do it with Python.

Mike