CVS access with Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 7 11:03:04 EST 2008

Ravi Kumar wrote:
> I have to design a Web-based CVS client. I could not find any module,
> cvs-binding in python.
>
> I have investigated all sort of Web Interface, including Sandweb, and
> ViewCVS etc.
> But these provide Read-only access and features. I need to provide
> almost all sort of basic features a developer frequently need in it.
> So please guide me.
> I found javacvs project in Netbeans project repository which seems a
> nice library, but since I am not a java programmer, this fails to me.
>
> Other problem is its implementation. Say, there is a repository of some
> projects with many modules. Now, when one developer wants to checkout, I
> can get the revision Sources to Web-server temporary sandbox, and create
> an archive (tar.gz/zip) and put that for downloading by the user. Since
> there is many-to-many relation between projects and developers, it will
> consume a lot of disk space on Web-server, creating 'n' copies of a
> single project for 'n' users, and assume all developers are checking out
> all sources. God knows.
> So is there any good implementation for such situation.

If I can be honest, the whole scheme sound completely wrong-headed to
me. Is somebody paying you to do this?

The whole point of CVS is to allow clients to maintain a local copy of
the repository. Hence a naive implementation of a web CVS client will
have to do the same thing for each user.

It *might* be possible to use a copy-on-write scheme such as Sun's old
Translucent File System (sorry, showing my age here), but this will give
hard problems when the repository changes shape, for example.

Suppose a user has her own CVS client repository on the web, how is she
supposed to edit and compile the files? Or is this not a programming
application?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119