The big shots

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Feb 19 00:22:25 EST 2008

castironpi at gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 18, 10:26 pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>> In article <7xmypx61z6.... at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
>> Paul Rubin  <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>>> Alpha test releases are the round of test distributions before the
>>> beta tests, which come before the release candidates which come before
>>> the final release.
>> Interesting, but I would bet that castironpi actually is referring to
>> "alpha males" (particularly in the context of "big shots"); however, your
>> confusion is precisely why I called it out.  Incoherent writing rarely
>> flies well in this community (which is one reason why I love Python!).
>> --
>> Aahz (a... at pythoncraft.com)           <*>        http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>>
>> "All problems in computer science can be solved by another level of
>> indirection."  --Butler Lampson
>
> Who you callin' denigrates?  Ahem.  You think your ships don't
> sink?  ;)

Humor. Arf arf.

> The problem did not seem to be miscommunication, rather bias.
>
> What part of, "No one took the train before it was invented," do you
> not understand?

The problem with this complaint is you simply seem to be saying "there's
a better language out there somewhere". No clue as to where it is, no
clue as to how it might be approached. Merely a suggestion that adding
randomly suggested features to Python, that are currently rejected for
what appear to me to be mostly sound reasons, will somehow lead us to
these undiscovered treasures.

> No one climbed Mount Everest before it was discovered, and it wasn't
> the tallest mountain until then either.

It *was* the tallest mountain - it existed before its discovery, and its
"discovery" wasn't news to the Sherpas who had been living on it for
hundreds of years.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119