dictionary of operators

Robert Bossy Robert.Bossy at jouy.inra.fr
Fri Feb 15 04:27:26 EST 2008

A.T.Hofkamp wrote:
> On 2008-02-14, rbossy at jouy.inra.fr <rbossy at jouy.inra.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the standard library module "operator", it would be nice to have a dictionary
>> mapping operators strings with their respective functions. Something like:
>>
>>   {
>>     '+': add,
>>     '-': sub,
>>     'in': contains,
>>     'and': and_,
>>     'or': or_,
>>   }
>>
>> Does such a dictionary already exist? Is it really a good and useful idea?
>>

> How would you handle changes in operator syntax?
> - I have 'add' instead of '+'
> - I have U+2208 instead of 'in'

Originally I meant only the Python syntax which shouldn't change that
much. For some operators (arith, comparison) the toy language had the
same syntax as Python.
Btw,  U+2208 would be a wonderful token... if only it was on standard
keyboards.

> I don't think this is generally applicable.

Thinking about it, I think it is not really applicable. Mainly because
my examples were exclusively binary operators. What would be for unary
operators? Or enclosing operators (getitem)?

> Why don't you attach the function to the +/-/in/... token instead? Then you
> don't need the above table at all.

Could be. But I prefer settling the semantic parts the furthest possible
from the lexer. Not that I have strong arguments for that, it's religious.

Anyway, thanks for answering,
RB