linux disc space

Jeff Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Fri Feb 15 17:10:36 EST 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Jeff Schwab wrote:
>> I'm not sure how superuser-only space would be reserved in the first
>> place.  I don't see anything relevant in the fdisk man page.
>
> man mkfs
>
> :)

Thank you.

Looks like the feature is only supported by particular file systems.  I
don't see anything at mkfs(8), but I do (for example) see the -m flag at
mke2fs(8).

What I've done in the past is to make the boot partition big enough for
emergency, super-user system administration.  In the default boot
configuration, I just don't mount /boot.  When the other partitions get
filled up by some runaway process (which happens with surprising (to me)
frequency), I mount the boot partition so I have some breathing room.  I
guess the formally reserved blocks in the filesystem are meant to serve
the same purpose.