Return value of an assignment statement?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Feb 22 02:17:10 EST 2008

Jeff Schwab <jeff at schwabcenter.com> writes:

> Aahz wrote:
> > Notice very very carefully that Bruno is not using "variable".
> > Many expert Python programmers strongly prefer to talk about
> > "names" instead of "variables" (especially when explaining the
> > Python object model) precisely because using "variable" leads to
> > incorrect expectations.
> >
> > http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/hacks/objectthink.html
>
> So what is the "variable?" Or is Python the first HLL I've ever
> heard of that didn't have variables?

I don't know what HLLs you've heard of. I would bet that some of them
are languages which don't have "variables" *with all that the term
implies to most programmers*.

You don't have to go very far to find Python programmers using the
term "variable". What Aahz is pointing out is that the concepts that
people sloppily refer to by the term "variable" don't behave in Python
the way a programmer might expect who has used that term in reference
to concepts native to other languages.

Hence the term requires careful definition, and it's often best simply
not to use it and use the better analogy of "names" and "binding"
instead.

--
 \         "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" "I think so, |
  `\    Brain, but if the plural of mouse is mice, wouldn't the plural |