Return value of an assignment statement?

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 22 00:44:02 EST 2008

Hallöchen!

Jeff Schwab writes:

> Aahz wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Notice very very carefully that Bruno is not using "variable".
>> Many expert Python programmers strongly prefer to talk about
>> "names" instead of "variables" (especially when explaining the
>> Python object model) precisely because using "variable" leads to
>> incorrect expectations.
>>
>> http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/hacks/objectthink.html
>
> So what is the "variable?"  Or is Python the first HLL I've ever
> heard of that didn't have variables?

Since Python objects, names, their operations, and the syntax used
for it resemble very closely (but not completely) what is called
"variable" in other languages, Python names are mostly called
"variables", too.

But there is this one thing of changing mutable objects which may
also change the "value" of other "variables".  This can only be
understood if your nomenclature is strictly correct.

I find Python's model is this area great.  It makes many things
simpler and only one or two things more complicated.  I had my bad
experiences with it, too (e.g. initialising two lists with
"x_values=y_values=[]").  But only once per year I stumble over it.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger at jabber.org
               (See http://ime.webhop.org for further contact info.)