newbie question: converting csv to another dialect

Chris cwitts at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 06:27:45 EST 2008

On Feb 15, 1:11 pm, Albert-jan Roskam <fo... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a csv file with tab as a delimiter. I want to
> convert it into one that is comma delimited. I changed
> the regional settings on my computer to US.
>
> At first I thought I could use the CSV module for
> this, by reading the csv file, registering the new
> (desired = comma-delimited) dialect, and writing it.
>
> Another option (which may be easier) I tried was:
> f = open('d:/temp/myfile.csv', ' rw')
> for row in f:
>     row.replace("\t",",")
>
> Which is a start, but doesn't do the entire job.
> Could somebody help me with this please?
>
> Thanks very much in advance!
>
> Albert-Jan

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

easiest way would be to split and then join imo

for line in input_file:
    output_file.write(','.join(line.split('\t')) )

If you decide on quote encapsulated comma-delimeted, don't forget to
add additional quotes to the start and end of the line.
Also, if you open the file in OO Calc and you choose to resave it you
can choose the delimiter.