SAGE for FPGA development

Blubaugh, David A. dblubaugh at belcan.com
Thu Feb 14 13:08:00 EST 2008

Bill,

Let me first say that my FPGA experiences are of the following nature:

1.) Developed control algorithms onto a FPGA that were utilized to
control a switch-reluctance motor (three-phase as well six-phase).

2.) I am currently in the process of developing a specialized
Multidimensional FFT processor that can be utilized to determine the
frequency content and angle of arrival of a target via a linear sensor
array.

I believe that you are deeply mistaken about that I would be the only
person to use such a system.  The FPGA market will only increase as more
embedded systems utilize more and more FPGAs for the processing needs,
since embedded system are being task with more computationally intensive
tasks, such as for example, image digital signal processing within
portable digital cameras.  Electrical and Computer Engineers could start
to utilize SAGE for system programming and development, not just only
mathematicians or physicists doing their own selected work.

Also, I think that you may have the wrong idea of porting SAGE to be
executed within a FPGA.  What I had in mind was to have MyHDL embedded
within SAGE, where sage could handle the graphical plot outputs of what
is being generated by MyHDL.  To be absolutely clear, SAGE could be used
to handle the graphs for the simulation side of what the logic that is
being generated by MyHDL embedded within the SAGE framework.  This could
help in testing algorithms as they are being generated into verilog FPGA
logic, by having a graphical experience within the entire development
process.

If you have any more additional questions, please contact me as soon as
possible.

Thanks,

David Blubaugh