SAGE for FPGA development

Bill Hart goodwillhart at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:45:30 EST 2008

David,

I see that if MyHDL was in SAGE, then it could be used to do what you
suggest. But why not get a python interpreter and still do what you
suggest. I don't see the advantage to putting it into SAGE. Who else
would use it? Is there a large group of mathematicians who have access
to FPGA hardware?

Also, you didn't answer my question about what expertise you have.

William Stein is the maintainer of SAGE, so he would be able to say
more about what fits with the design goals of SAGE, but my feeling is
that something would only be added to SAGE if it were going to benefit
a large base of its users (or bring a large base of users to SAGE). At
this point I only see one person who might potentially use this, i.e.
you.

Sorry to seem a little discouraging, but I need a little more
information to launch into a massive project to put FFT's onto FPGA's
for use in SAGE. I mean, can I reasonably afford an FPGA which would
be big enough for this and which I can put into my own home computer?
Is this the way of the future for mathematicians? Should we all be
buying these things? What is performance like on these things?

I *might* be interested, but I need to know a little more.

Bill.