Linux/Python Issues

Frithiof Andreas Jensen frithiof.jensen at diespammerdie.jensen.tdcadsl.dk
Fri Feb 22 08:40:49 EST 2008

"Bruno Desthuilliers" <bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com>
skrev i en meddelelse news:47bad186$0$31953$426a74cc at news.free.fr...
> MartinRinehart at gmail.com a écrit :

> So, here's the basic scheme:
>
> - download the source tarball, preferably in /usr/local/src
> - unpack it
> - cd into the unpacked source directory
> - *carefully* read the README, INSTALL and other relevant docs
> - run ./configure with the relevant options
> - run make
> - run make install
>
> Wasn't too hard, was it ?-)

It's a wee bit harder: Since he's got a package based distribution, the O.P.
would do well to learn how to build source packages for that distribution
otherwise he will eventually end up with a mess. The learning curve for
packages is steep.

For a Debian-based system the easiest way to roll custom packages is I.M.O.
to use "pbuilder" so the system does not get totally polluted by build
dependencies and other only-ever-used-once cruft.

Pbuilder works on Ubuntu too - I have an old SUN Ultra SPARC 10 so very
occasionally I need to package/rebuild src-packages some tool that is not in
the distribution.

> And before you say it:  yes indeed, it assumes you know how to use the
> command line, navigate your filesystem, copy/move things around, unpack an
> archive, read a text file etc... IOW, some more 'common *n*x knowledge'
> that you just can't hope to avoid learning if you want to properly use a
> *n*x system. Sorry.

Same story on Windows, really. People just forget how hard that was to
learn.