Python GUI toolkit

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:23:01 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 9:57 AM, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:
> Chris Mellon wrote:
>
> > Nitpick, but an important one. It emulates *look*. Not feel. Native
> > look is easy and totally insufficient for a "native" app - it's the
> > feel that's important.
>
> Is this opinion based on firsthand experience with use of the Tile/ttk
> widgets on any of the relevant platforms?
>
> I'm not a Windows user, so I can't speak about that platform, but I have
> worked very hard to make my Python-Tile-Tk app consistent with both the
> look and feel of OS X: keyboard shortcuts, menu behavior, and so on.
> It's mainly a matter of attention to detail, and listening to user
> feedback. I've gotten good feedback on my applications in recent months
> as I've implemented more and more platform native behavior, and sales of
> these applications (I'm a shareware developer) reflect that.
>
> I'd be interested to hear how, in your experience, Tk/Tile is inherently
> unable to deliver native platform "feel," in a way that reflects on the
> toolkit rather than the developer.  It's fine to focus on Windows if
> that's your area of expertise.

I didn't say inherently unable, I said the toolkit doesn't provide it.
Note that you said that you did a lot of work to follow OS X
conventions and implement behavior. The toolkit doesn't help you with
any of this. A mac-native toolkit (or one that strives for native
behavior, like wxPython)  eliminates a lot of this work (although, of
course, not all).