Python GUI toolkit

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Mon Feb 4 10:57:04 EST 2008

Chris Mellon wrote:

> Nitpick, but an important one. It emulates *look*. Not feel. Native
> look is easy and totally insufficient for a "native" app - it's the
> feel that's important.

Is this opinion based on firsthand experience with use of the Tile/ttk
widgets on any of the relevant platforms?

I'm not a Windows user, so I can't speak about that platform, but I have
worked very hard to make my Python-Tile-Tk app consistent with both the
look and feel of OS X: keyboard shortcuts, menu behavior, and so on.
It's mainly a matter of attention to detail, and listening to user
feedback. I've gotten good feedback on my applications in recent months
as I've implemented more and more platform native behavior, and sales of
these applications (I'm a shareware developer) reflect that.

I'd be interested to hear how, in your experience, Tk/Tile is inherently
unable to deliver native platform "feel," in a way that reflects on the
toolkit rather than the developer.  It's fine to focus on Windows if
that's your area of expertise.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin