How about adding rational fraction to Python?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Feb 26 12:13:38 EST 2008

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:45:45 -0800 (PST)
> Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 9:29 am, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da... at druid.net> wrote:
>>> If 3/4 ever returned 0.75 in any language I would drop that language.
>> Have fun dropping Python, then, chief.  Integer division with / is
>> already deprecated, can be disabled ever since Python 2.4, and will be
>> wholly removed in Python 3.0.
>
> I have not been following Python development that closely lately so I
> was not aware of that. I guess I won't be going to Python 3 then.  It's
> great that Python wants to attract young, new programmers.  Too bad
> about us old farts I guess.
>
> How soon before 2.x is completely deprecated and I have to become a
> Walmart greeter?

I'm guessing at least four years: 2.6 will com out at the same time as
3.1, and there will definitely be a 2.7 release. After that you may
indeed be working for Walmart, though do remember that 1.5.2 is still a
perfectly viable language ten years after its release.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119