Hyphenation module PyHyphen-0.3 released

thebjorn BjornSteinarFjeldPettersen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 19:53:06 EST 2008

On Feb 23, 8:35 pm, "Dr. leo" <fhaxbo... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am pleased to share with you the great features of the latest version.
> Large parts of the sources were completely rewritten. Also, they are now
> reasonably documented.
>
> Just go tohttp://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyHyphen/0.3
>
> I was tempted to classify it as Beta. Indeed I am not aware of any bugs, but
> I haven't spent very much time for testing, just ran some word lists...
>
> Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Especially I would be interested in
> experiences under Windows. I can only test it under Linux.
>
> If there were a good soul to send me a DLL for Windows
> (fhaxbo... at googlemail.com) , this would be terrific.
>
> Bests
>
> Leo

Looks interesting, and I'd love to provide a .pyd file, however I'm
running into some problems :-(   I've got VS 2005 on this machine and
setup-tools is complaining about my Python being built with VS 2003.
(I know what the problem is with intermingling runtime libraries, yet
I can't downgrade my VS version...)  I got a message that I could try
using mingw32, so a quick download and the build step seemed to finish
without any problems:

  C:\work\PyHyphen-0.3>python setup.py build -c mingw32
  running build
  running build_py
  running build_ext
  running build_scripts
  creating build\scripts-2.5
  copying example.py -> build\scripts-2.5

(I ran build_ext first, which is why there's so little output.) I
copied the dictionary into build\lib.win32-2.5\dict and was able to
import the library without getting any errors and run the example from
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyHyphen/0.3 (from the build directory).
I'm stuck at trying to install the package though...:

  C:\work\PyHyphen-0.3>python setup.py install
  running install
  running build
  running build_py
  running build_ext
  error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
  extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate
compatible binaries.
  Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
installed,
  you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to
setup.py.

  C:\work\PyHyphen-0.3>python setup.py install -c mingw32
  usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2
[cmd2_opts] ...]
     or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
     or: setup.py --help-commands
     or: setup.py cmd --help

  error: invalid command 'mingw32'

I don't know if I'm just doing it wrong, or if I can't use extensions
compiled with mingw32 with the standard distribution Python
executable?

-- bjorn