Linux/Python Issues

MartinRinehart at gmail.com MartinRinehart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 07:04:03 EST 2008

re being serious

I am serious. I am seriously trying to develop a nice language for
beginners. I was at Dartmouth in 1965 when BASIC was new. It let me
use the computer without learning Fortran. It was very successful. I
think it's past time for another one. I think we could have a lot more
capability with more simplicity than you find in Visual Basic.

re DLing source

As a "solution" to the problem of wanting a program on my computer, it
sucks. On Windows I'll DL an install package, "accept" a license
agreement, click Next a few times (no, I can't make a cup of coffee
because the minute I step away the "Wizard" will ask a question), ...
With CNR the commitment is that I CAN walk away. I do not know who
should be responsible for putting things in the warehouse. I do wish
that the *n*x community would create some sensible standards so the
'our distro doesn't put things where others do' would stop being an
issue. Looking in "/usr/bin" and its brethren makes "c:\Program Files"
seem organized.

re changing distros because apt-get could do the job

I'll take your words for the superiority of Ubuntu. But I'll not
change from one problem (can't find the python-devel that python.org
says I need) to another (installing a new OS). I bought my Linspire
computer with the OS installed. I've no interest in mastering the art
of installing Linux. I'm a big fan of KDE, KATE and Konqueror and
having a dozen desktops for a dozen projects. I do not miss crashes
and viruses. I do not miss shelling out hundreds of bucks for an
office suite.

So for now I'll just pretend that Windows is desktop 13. A KVM helps.
I'll remember that you don't type "uptime" in the DOS window. Oh,
yeah. I'll remember that my NAV subscription expired. Gotta renew.