Learning Python now coming from Perl

Python Nutter pythonnutter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 20:44:19 EST 2008

Perl Cookbook for Python Programmers:
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_python/index.html

P3K as starting point (slight cringe) as long as you know the caveats.

I'm of the mind as Christopher with regard to how Python 3.0 has been
released on Python.org:

"""I don't think that Python 3.0 is a bad thing. But that it's
displayed so prominently on the Python web site, without any kind of
warning that it's not going to work with 99% of the Python code out
there, scares the hell out of me. People are going to download and
install 3.0 by default, and nothing's going to work. They're going to
complain, and many are going to simply walk away.
- Christopher Lenz"""

Python3 is beautiful, and I am totally with James Bennet
http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2008/dec/05/python-3000/

That said I would suggest you learn the whole history of the Py3K
project and its 19+ years of 20/20 hindsight on what works well and
what doesn't so you can if you want to jump right into Python3 fully
informed on why it is the way it is and why you need to wait for 3rd
party libraries to catch up and release a Python 3 compatible version
and why all the Internal libraries are no worry except for the fact
some of them have disappeared in the cleanup or merged into a single
library. Then you can make sense of all the 2.x books and posts and
know where to start when trying to apply it to Python 3.

Cheers,
PN
(Python 2.5.2, Stackless Python 2.5.2, Python 2.6 and Python 3.0 on my box)

P.S. Look into iPython as your new favourtie shell and virtualenv to
help you keep all your projects straight and you'll be very productive
in no time =)