Testing against different versions of Python

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Fri Dec 12 15:52:40 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:42 PM, mercado <python.dev.9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the best way to go about testing against different versions of
> Python?  For example, I have 2.5.2 installed on my machine (Ubuntu Hardy
> 8.04), and I want to test a script against 2.5.2 and 2.5.1 (and possibly
> other versions as well).

There are no incompatibilities between 2.5.2 and 2.5.1, unless you were
relying on a bug in your code. AFAIK, the only way to test it against both
would be to compile 2.5.1 yourself. Then, /usr/bin/python would point to
2.5.2 and /usr/local/bin/python would point to python 2.5.1. To test your
script against 2.4, just install the Python2.4 package from apt and invoke
the interpreter with the command python2.4 instead of python. The same thing
goes for python 2.3. Intrepid has a package for Python 3 as well, if you are
willing to do a distro upgrade.