Testing against different versions of Python

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 16:06:41 EST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:42:24 -0500, mercado wrote:

> What is the best way to go about testing against different versions of
> Python?  For example, I have 2.5.2 installed on my machine (Ubuntu Hardy
> 8.04), and I want to test a script against 2.5.2 and 2.5.1 (and possibly
> other versions as well).

definitely you need to have the test code first (unittest or doctest)

then it's just a matter of running a shell script (or python script with
subprocess) to check if the code generated any errors in any version.

The problem might be how to install multiple sub-minor version of python.
I often see a machine with multiple minor versions, but have no idea
whether multiple sub-minor versions could coexists.