Python's popularity

Tommy Grav tgrav at mac.com
Mon Dec 22 12:59:37 EST 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 12:48 PM, walterbyrd wrote:
>> Now since Python *is not* the only language on it's block, we have to
>> compete with our main nemesis(Ruby) for survival
>
> I think both python and ruby will "survive." I think python is also
> competing with perl in the sysadmin space - although I see perl as
> being much more popular there.

Python is making great headway in the physical sciences. Especially
in astronomy Python has become a real player as not only a tool for
quick and dirty calculations, but more serious number crunching using
the great numpy and scipy libraries. With Cython, I, think it will
even start
taking over some of the speed critical niche from C and Fortran.

Cheers
   Tommy