IMAP: How to implement GMail-like threaded conversations view

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri Dec 19 12:36:47 EST 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:47:18 -0800 (PST), Martin <mrtot at gmx.de> wrote:
>Currently I am trying to get used to Python's imaplib and email
>modules.
>I'like to create a webmail client simmilar to GMail.

I'd suggest using Twisted's IMAP4 client.  It's somewhat easier to
use than Python's imaplib because it does much more parsing of IMAP4's
complex syntax for you.  It will also be easier to do IMAP4 and HTTP
simultaneously if you're using Twisted.

Twisted won't help with the threading feature you want to implement
though, it lets you use the email package if you want to examine the
structure of the messages you retrieve.

Jean-Paul