RPM of a Python program

Jason Scheirer jason.scheirer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:06:19 EDT 2008

On Aug 13, 5:52 pm, Clay Hobbs <c... at lakeserv.net> wrote:
> I want to make an RPM (Redhat Package Manager) file to install a Python
> program (not a module).  How is this done?  Does it use Distutils, or
> something completely different?  Thanks in advance.
>
> -- Ratfink

You first want to make sure your setup.py correctly references your
python scripts:

http://docs.python.org/dist/node11.html

The distutils package has a built-in bdist_rpm command that will
create an installable RPM:

http://docs.python.org/dist/module-distutils.command.bdistrpm.html

So instead of running

$ python setup.py install

as you usually do, you would execute

$ python setup.py bdist_rpm

and in the directory where setup.py lives you should have a dist/
directory with an .rpm file ready to go. That's the easy part, if you
have other related resource files, etc, you are going to need to study
up on how to properly get them specified in your setup.py with
distutils, but it's completely doable.