Python web framework choice

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Aug 13 02:54:27 EDT 2008

Quoting Mahdi <ce at mail.net.sk>:

> I need to develop a medium-sized database web application for my
> company. Given that:
>  I don't know much about building web UI(s) but i have fair knowledge
> about HTML & My schedule is tight.
>
> a recommendation is v v v appreciated.

I'm in the same boat.... a few weeks in.....

I've found that most of the python frameworks are based on the python
cherrypy server. Thats a good place to work out how the webserver part
of the non-zope systems work. ie django etc

So that is the webserver part....

then you need to build your webpages....

I have found Cheetah.... which is pretty powerful... that is a
templating system to build the actual pages from the database content...

that works nicely...

obviously django and pylons wrap all these basics into a 'product'...

so it depends if you want to learn all the basic pieces
(CherryPy/Cheetah)... or jump straight into the high level stuff
straight away (pylons/django)...

depends how much money your boss is throwing your way i guess....

David