Python web framework choice

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Wed Aug 13 03:13:33 EDT 2008

david.lyon at preisshare.net a écrit :
> Quoting Mahdi <ce at mail.net.sk>:
>
>> I need to develop a medium-sized database web application for my
>> company. Given that:
>>  I don't know much about building web UI(s) but i have fair knowledge
>> about HTML & My schedule is tight.
>>
>> a recommendation is v v v appreciated.
>
> I'm in the same boat.... a few weeks in.....
>
> I've found that most of the python frameworks are based on the python
> cherrypy server.

"most" ? Turbogears < 2.x set aside (TG2 runs on top of pylons), I
didn't heard of much cherrypy-based frameworks (except possibly for
home-grown unpublished ones).

> Thats a good place to work out how the webserver part
> of the non-zope systems work. ie django etc

Django was initially designed to run on mod_python, then added support
for fcgi and wsgi IIRC.

> So that is the webserver part....
>
> then you need to build your webpages....
>
> I have found Cheetah.... which is pretty powerful... that is a
> templating system to build the actual pages from the database content...

from whatever content...

> that works nicely...

There are quite a couple other templating systems. One could mention
Mako, Genshi, TAL, Breve, Jinja, etc...

> obviously django and pylons wrap all these basics into a 'product'...

Django has it's own templating system (and it's own ORM)[1]. Pylons
(which is a 100% wsgi-based framework) default to Mako (templating) and
SQLAlchemy (ORM), but these are only defaults

[1] you can of course use other templating systems and ORMs with it, but
then you'd loose most of what makes Django interesting...